Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Installed Detector Systems > ZR5, Laser ShifterPro, ZR4, ZR3

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 10th, 2017
marinerjoe marinerjoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 41
Question Testing a ZR5

I finally got to install my ZR5 today, and have a question about testing it.

I have both a red and a green laser sight for handguns and shined each of them at the sensors. Neither laser caused the ZR5 (or the RedLine EX) to alert.

Should I be worried about my install? What else do yíall recommend for me to test my unit?

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old December 10th, 2017
jdong jdong is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 380
Default

Laser guns are not the same thing as laser sights / laser pointers.

You will need a real police laser gun, as shifters respond to the specific encoded light pulses from laser guns. Certain Bushnell laser rangefinders will also get shifted but because those run in range mode and not speed mode it doesnít help for testing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 10th, 2017
marinerjoe marinerjoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 41
Default

Thanks jdong.

I was hoping I could get it to ďfalseĒ as Iíve read about laser falses from some phones, signs, etc. I thought maybe a real laser could trigger a false so Iíd know that itís at least looking.

On the bright side, Iím not getting any error messages on the RedLine EX or on the iOS Escort Live app.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old December 11th, 2017
jdong jdong is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
Thanks jdong.

I was hoping I could get it to ďfalseĒ as Iíve read about laser falses from some phones, signs, etc. I thought maybe a real laser could trigger a false so Iíd know that itís at least looking.

On the bright side, Iím not getting any error messages on the RedLine EX or on the iOS Escort Live app.
If you want to look for "falses" to reassure you that the shifter is at least receiving, you may have better luck with a remote control. Those shoot pulses of IR and some of them can be confused with real police laser pulse rates of older guns.

With that said, as an experienced enthusiast, I highly recommend getting your car tested. If you look around, you should be able to find some laser enthusiasts in your local area willing to shoot your car with one of their laser guns.

A lot of the times, the effectiveness of a laser setup depends on how it was installed/placed on your vehicle and there's no way to know how well it performs unless you test it against some real guns. That would give you ultimate peace of mind.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 11th, 2017
marinerjoe marinerjoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
With that said, as an experienced enthusiast, I highly recommend getting your car tested. If you look around, you should be able to find some laser enthusiasts in your local area willing to shoot your car with one of their laser guns.

A lot of the times, the effectiveness of a laser setup depends on how it was installed/placed on your vehicle and there's no way to know how well it performs unless you test it against some real guns. That would give you ultimate peace of mind.
Living in Virginia, Iím not confident Iíll find many ďenthusiastsĒ and am reluctant to post looking for ones in the open.

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 11th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,021
Default

Try googling "laser jammer tester". It's a small testing unit that mimics several popular laser speedguns. They usually cost under $40.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 11th, 2017
marinerjoe marinerjoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 41
Default

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 13th, 2017
BelsCortFan's Avatar
BelsCortFan BelsCortFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: IN the Back of your Mind
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
Try googling "laser jammer tester". It's a small testing unit that mimics several popular laser speedguns. They usually cost under $40.
Ive got one. They work.
__________________
Stir-O >Redline-O>RX65 S7>Redline EX =Max 360

Last edited by EscortRadar; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:41 PM. Reason: removed mention of non-Escort product
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2017 Escort Inc.