Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Windshield Radar Detectors > MAX 360c

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 14th, 2019
isuzudave isuzudave is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
Default Is Escort firmware numbering different than normal?

I just got a MAX 360C. It has firmware version 1.10. I have been getting a lot of false alerts from the rear antenna on 33.880 Ka. I did some searching online and found several warnings that if I have lower than version 1.5 I must upgrade before September 12th. I thought ah-ha! That's my problem I am only on version 1.10, I need to upgrade. I figured because I bought the unit after the mentioned Sept. 12th date I would have to update via USB.

I was able to find one of the antique USB cables needed and proceeded to update the unit using Detector Tools Pro. It says I have the latest software. And then it dawned on me. There is no "0" in 1.5, but there is a "0" in 1.10. In every instance of software version numbering I have ever seen version 1.5 would be a newer version than 1.10. Does Escort really doing it like this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 15th, 2019
EscortRadar's Avatar
EscortRadar EscortRadar is offline
Official Escort Rep
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,038
Default

v1.10 is the latest firmware version. If you have the latest software installed and continue to receive false rear radar alerts, your MAX 360c may need to be serviced. To set this up, please contact us at the number in my signature.

We use the software versioning that most everyone else uses: Major version. Minor version
__________________

Escort Radar customer service is available from 9am-5:30pm Eastern Time Mon-Fri at 1-800-543-1608 or you can fill out a repair form and we will contact you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 15th, 2019
isuzudave isuzudave is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
Default

I'm still researching the 33.880 Ka falses. I read somewhere that it might be my phone (Pixel 3XL) causing it.

I got a crash course in firmware numbering from a co-worker. I now understand how it works. It can be confusing that 1.1 and 1.10 are not interchangable in the software numbering world.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 16th, 2019
Esc0rtFan's Avatar
Esc0rtFan Esc0rtFan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 680
Default

Yes I believe it has been reported that the iphones can cause this ....
__________________
I use the following Escort Products

Escort Redline EX
Max360c with wifi
M1 Dash cam with both detectors
Escort Live
ZR5 Shifters
------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 1st, 2020
TonyRI's Avatar
TonyRI TonyRI is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuzudave View Post
I'm still researching the 33.880 Ka falses. I read somewhere that it might be my phone (Pixel 3XL) causing it.
I'm curious as to how the Pixel 3XL (or iphones) can cause the Max360c to false on Ka band. I had never heard this before.

I have a Pixel 3XL and just returned my 360c for a replacement unit, as it was Ka falsing (Front) 3-4 times daily in all different locations, sometimes with no traffic, no houses, etc. It responded correctly to actual sources and ramped up as expected. The falses would pop up for a few seconds and then stop. The problem with that was the delay to determine whether it was an actual radar unit, or not.

I should be getting the replacement unit on Saturday. I'll be able to tell if it was the unit, or the phone at that point, but I still don't understand how a phone can cause the 360c to emit false Ka detections.

Thanks for any information that you could provide

Last edited by TonyRI; January 1st, 2020 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 2nd, 2020
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRI View Post
I'm curious as to how the Pixel 3XL (or iphones) can cause the Max360c to false on Ka band. I had never heard this before.

I have a Pixel 3XL and just returned my 360c for a replacement unit, as it was Ka falsing (Front) 3-4 times daily in all different locations, sometimes with no traffic, no houses, etc. It responded correctly to actual sources and ramped up as expected. The falses would pop up for a few seconds and then stop. The problem with that was the delay to determine whether it was an actual radar unit, or not.

I should be getting the replacement unit on Saturday. I'll be able to tell if it was the unit, or the phone at that point, but I still don't understand how a phone can cause the 360c to emit false Ka detections.

Thanks for any information that you could provide
If you search the forum for "laser falses", you'll come across lists of things that can cause falsing. A short list includes:
  • LED screens (drive thru a Sonic sometime)
  • LED vehicle lights
  • Face recognition sensors in some newer smart phones
  • Airport wind shear detection systems (LIDAR)
  • Driving in and-out of shadows when the Sun is low on the horizon

There are other causes, too.

To the naked eye, an LED screen appears to be constantly on, but it's actually pulsating. The naked eye doesn't see the pulsations because the high rate, but the detector interprets what it "sees" as a threat and triggers an alert.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Escort M1 and Thinkware F750
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 2nd, 2020
TonyRI's Avatar
TonyRI TonyRI is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 339
Default

Thanks for your response TBNTX.

The question was actually about Ka falsing not laser falsing. I can definitely understand a false laser alert (for all of the reasons that you describe), however isuzudave had made a reference to his phone causing false Ka band alerts.

So, I still have a question as to whether, or not, a Pixel 3XL, or iPhone (as referenced by 2 people, above) can cause a false Ka band alert. As I had stated earlier, I had never heard of this before and I had sent my detector back for false Ka band alerts.

Thanks again and do you know if that is true, or not?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 2nd, 2020
TonyRI's Avatar
TonyRI TonyRI is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 339
Default

PS I had searched the forum for false Ka band alerts and found the rear alert issue, that (I believe) had been resolved by the firmware update 1.10.

Any time that I found a problem with false Ka (front) on this forum, the solution was to return the unit for service.

I had never read of any issue with Ka band being caused by a phone, either in this forum, or any web search. Hence my original question (after quoting isuzudave's comment).

Last edited by TonyRI; January 2nd, 2020 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 2nd, 2020
Butcher318 Butcher318 is offline
Armchair Expert
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
If you search the forum for "laser falses", you'll come across lists of things that can cause falsing. A short list includes:
  • LED screens (drive thru a Sonic sometime)
  • LED vehicle lights
  • Face recognition sensors in some newer smart phones
  • Airport wind shear detection systems (LIDAR)
  • Driving in and-out of shadows when the Sun is low on the horizon

There are other causes, too.

To the naked eye, an LED screen appears to be constantly on, but it's actually pulsating. The naked eye doesn't see the pulsations because the high rate, but the detector interprets what it "sees" as a threat and triggers an alert.
No offense bro, if you would read this thread it's quite obvious this question is referring to KA band RADAR. A smart phone causing a false KA alert is completely new from what I can tell. Curious to see what the deal is on this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 4th, 2020
TonyRI's Avatar
TonyRI TonyRI is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 339
Default

I don't believe that any phone can cause false KA BAND RADAR alerts. If anyone has information contrary to this, please advise. Thanks.

Last edited by TonyRI; January 4th, 2020 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 Escort Inc.