Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Windshield Radar Detectors > Passport 9500ix, S75G

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 12th, 2016
thedeaux thedeaux is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Default "Acquiring GPS Signal"

I apologize if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on it.

Since switching from my old beater vehicle to my 2016 Genesis, my passport 9500ix regularly says "acquiring GPS signal". I don't see anything on the screen when she says it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on why this is happening and if, during this time, I'm vulnerable to KA band on the road. In my first 6 months of ownership, this never happened. A few months ago it would happen rarely, but since switching to my new car it happens daily.

Edit: Not sure if this is helpful, but I live about 15 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City so it's a pretty urban area. The radar is mounted about 4" above my dashboard on the windshield between the driver and passenger seat.

Any help and advice is appreciated!

Last edited by thedeaux; July 12th, 2016 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 12th, 2016
poolmon poolmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,672
Default

The 9500ix reports "GPS Signal Lost" if had GPS lock (it's silent when it first aquires the GPS lock), and thereafter it was lost. If it is lost, then when it is re-acquired it will then report "GPS Signal Acquired".
It sounds to me like your new vehicle is causing you to lose and then re-aquire the GPS lock. If you see the small globe/orb on the front blinking that means it is looking for GPS lock but can't find it (as opposed to spinning globe/orb which indicates it is locking out a stored radar signal). Tall buildings can also affect GPS lock.

The lack of GPS lock should not affect the Ka (or other band) detection. It will only affect GPS based camera warnings and lockouts.

The above assumes you are using the 9500ix on a stand alone basis (no Escort Live or other app).

Last edited by poolmon; July 12th, 2016 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 12th, 2016
thedeaux thedeaux is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmon View Post
The 9500ix reports "GPS Signal Lost" if had GPS lock (it's silent when it first aquires the GPS lock), and thereafter it was lost. If it is lost, then when it is re-acquired it will then report "GPS Signal Acquired".
It sounds to me like your new vehicle is causing you to lose and then re-aquire the GPS lock. If you see the small globe/orb on the front blinking that means it is looking for GPS lock but can't find it (as opposed to spinning globe/orb which indicates it is locking out a stored radar signal). Tall buildings can also affect GPS lock.

The lack of GPS lock should not affect the Ka (or other band) detection.

The above assumes you are using the 9500ix on a stand alone basis (no Escort Live or other app).
Thank you, this is very helpful. I don't think I've heard mine say anything aside from "Acquiring GPS signal" so that's a bit curious. I know it's the 9500ix since I got it new off Amazon.

But I'm happy to know that the GPS signal won't disrupt the band detection since that's really all I use it for. What's the purpose of the GPS signal if it doesn't contribute to band identification?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 12th, 2016
poolmon poolmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeaux View Post
What's the purpose of the GPS signal if it doesn't contribute to band identification?
The GPS is used to:
1. Warn of traffic camera locations (speed & red light), and
2. Allow lockouts (automatic and manual) of radar signals on the X and K bands (but not Ka which currently cannot be locked-out) and manual-only lockouts of Laser sources (like laser speed cameras).

This also assumes you are not referring to the International version which might have slight variations.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 18th, 2016
FisherPete's Avatar
FisherPete FisherPete is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 68
Default

Since it happened when you started using it in a new car, I might try it in a different car to see if something about the new car is the cause. I know there are some windshield coatings which reportedly interfere with signal.

My secondary concern is that your unit may have coincidentally failed at the same time you started using it in a different vehicle. The symptom you describe is how mine acted when it quit working. I had the factory fix it and now it works great again.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 12th, 2016
LOAF3's Avatar
LOAF3 LOAF3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DALLAS TEXAS
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmon View Post
The GPS is used to:
1. Warn of traffic camera locations (speed & red light), and
2. Allow lockouts (automatic and manual) of radar signals on the X and K bands (but not Ka which currently cannot be locked-out) and manual-only lockouts of Laser sources (like laser speed cameras).

This also assumes you are not referring to the International version which might have slight variations.
So if GPS is off, it doesnt have any influence on KA right? KA will either be the po-po or weak radars right?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 12th, 2016
poolmon poolmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAF3 View Post
So if GPS is off, it doesnt have any influence on KA right? KA will either be the po-po or weak radars right?
The GPS should have no effect on receipt of radar & lidar signals.

To test, pull into a commercial parking lot with door sensors. Your unit should alarm you if your GPS is non-functional. There is an GPS on/off button on the top of the IX. Be sure you have it turned on as your problem sounds strange (unless you have a specially coated windshield which can definitely prevent GPS lock).

Someone on this forum had a reference list of numerous affected cars. I cannot find that list, but perhaps another member can point you to it.

Last edited by poolmon; August 12th, 2016 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 21st, 2016
Bigdog9586 Bigdog9586 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeaux View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on it.

Since switching from my old beater vehicle to my 2016 Genesis, my passport 9500ix regularly says "acquiring GPS signal". I don't see anything on the screen when she says it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on why this is happening and if, during this time, I'm vulnerable to KA band on the road. In my first 6 months of ownership, this never happened. A few months ago it would happen rarely, but since switching to my new car it happens daily.

Edit: Not sure if this is helpful, but I live about 15 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City so it's a pretty urban area. The radar is mounted about 4" above my dashboard on the windshield between the driver and passenger seat.

Any help and advice is appreciated!
There is a button on the top of detector that on mine I pushed by mistake and every morning when backing out of the garage it would say what yours does. Also when it's on the gps light on front is on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
9500ix, escort, gps, gps aquisition, passport 9500ix

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 Escort Inc.