Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Detector Accessories > Mounts

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 17th, 2017
GumbyDammit223 GumbyDammit223 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 102
Default Detectors, Mounts & Compasses

Decided to start a new thread for my latest question.

Finally got my Max360 and Blendmount/Mirrortap contraption installed and locked down. Today I'm noticing that the compass in my rearview mirror is messed up. It was working fine prior to the install, but ever since I've been unplugging the mirror's power to get everything installed, it's been acting squirrelly. I have the option of changing the magnetic declination and the manual says that the mirror will tell me when it needs to be recalibrated. I've done that - changed the declination to a vastly different zone and back and it hasn't asked for a recal. I haven't actually tried putting a real compass near the detector to see if it's inherently magnetic - wouldn't think so, but I guess I'll have to check that out tonight.

Has anybody ever experienced a similar situation where installing a radar detector in semi-close proximity to the compass in their mirror causes the compass to get screwed up?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 17th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,057
Default

What happens if you un-plug the mirror tap from the detector? Does the compass revert to normal?
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 17th, 2017
GumbyDammit223 GumbyDammit223 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 102
Default

Well, isn't it obvious????

The (obvious) problem is that there's a fairly strong magnet inside the housing of the 360! The magnet is there to help keep the 360 and Escort's windshield mount mated. I was reminded of this minor detail as I was going to replace the steel screws in the Blendmount with stainless ones. This was suggested to me on another forum. My steel tool snapped to the 360 and a lightbulb exploded in front of me.

Sure enough, when I slid the 360 backwards, removing it from the mount and bringing it closer to the mirror, the mirror shifted even more. And, when I moved the 360 farther away and closer to the windshield, it began reading normally. Since moving the detector farther away isn't possible without one or two extra links in the Blendmount, I'm going to have to see if I can remove the magnet from the detector. I have to believe it's just glued in, but won't know until I pop the cover.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 17th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyDammit223 View Post
Well, isn't it obvious????

The (obvious) problem is that there's a fairly strong magnet inside the housing of the 360! The magnet is there to help keep the 360 and Escort's windshield mount mated. I was reminded of this minor detail as I was going to replace the steel screws in the Blendmount with stainless ones. This was suggested to me on another forum. My steel tool snapped to the 360 and a lightbulb exploded in front of me.

Sure enough, when I slid the 360 backwards, removing it from the mount and bringing it closer to the mirror, the mirror shifted even more. And, when I moved the 360 farther away and closer to the windshield, it began reading normally. Since moving the detector farther away isn't possible without one or two extra links in the Blendmount, I'm going to have to see if I can remove the magnet from the detector. I have to believe it's just glued in, but won't know until I pop the cover.
Knowing how the Blendmount system works with the Max family of detectors, it's a friction mount. The magnet wouldn't be required, anyway.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 17th, 2017
V0rtex V0rtex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 827
Default

That makes sense.

The magnet should be pretty straightforward to remove. Once you take off the top cover of the Max360, it looks like this.



There's a metal bracket that holds the magnet in place and a pair of screws on either side that I've marked with red arrows that secures the bracket to the detector lid.

Here's a closeup of the bracket and the magnet behind it.



Once you unscrew and remove that bracket, it should be a piece of cake to take out the magnet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 18th, 2017
GumbyDammit223 GumbyDammit223 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0rtex View Post
That makes sense.

The magnet should be pretty straightforward to remove. Once you take off the top cover of the Max360, it looks like this.



There's a metal bracket that holds the magnet in place and a pair of screws on either side that I've marked with red arrows that secures the bracket to the detector lid.

Here's a closeup of the bracket and the magnet behind it.



Once you unscrew and remove that bracket, it should be a piece of cake to take out the magnet.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING PICTURES!!!! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to see! I'm soooo glad it isn't a quick epoxy-in-place attachment because removals can go wrong if you're not careful. I swear I have learned so much from you guys since I joined that it's not funny. And to think that when I bought the detector I didn't bother doing anything online with it for months thinking why would I need to.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN!!!

And yay! another fridge magnet!!

Last edited by GumbyDammit223; October 18th, 2017 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 18th, 2017
GumbyDammit223 GumbyDammit223 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
Knowing how the Blendmount system works with the Max family of detectors, it's a friction mount. The magnet wouldn't be required, anyway.
Yes, exactly. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the clip was open in the middle which helps with GPS reception. From the pictures on the website, you couldn't tell details like this. Once I got all the screws tightened, the mount is solid as a rock and am very happy with it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 20th, 2017
GumbyDammit223 GumbyDammit223 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 102
Default

Update

After removing the magnet from my 360 I immediately noticed that the compass in the mirror was extremely sluggish and still not reading correctly. I did everything I could to force a compass recalibration, but it seemed happy as-is while I was not. I then moved on to get my Thinkware dashcam installed while the weather was still good. Got the cameras mounted on Wednesday and then yesterday (Thursday) got everything wired and running. Before starting the wiring task, decided to get a MickeyD's drive-by breakfast. During the drive there, the compass was displaying an almost-constant NW even though I was driving north, west, east. When I finally got into the lane to pay and pick up my food, I noticed the compass was indicating S and I was pointing south. From that point on, the compass has been reading correctly and in a timely fashion. I guess it really did need to be recalibrated, even though it did not indicate so!

Anyway, after getting the Thinkware up and running next to the 360, I hope I can call the job done and enjoy the fruits of my labor! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 20th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,057
Default

I use the Thinkware myself. Which model did you get?
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 20th, 2017
GumbyDammit223 GumbyDammit223 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
I use the Thinkware myself. Which model did you get?
F800 Pro & Cellink battery from blackboxmycar.com I'm amazed at how much "stuff" they can squeeze into such a small package. Seems to be working fine. I'm in the process of tweaking the sensitivity settings for parking mode.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2017 Escort Inc.