Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Detector Accessories > Defender

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 21st, 2017
vfinley vfinley is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Default Defender Updates Take 12 hours

For years, my Passport 9500ix could easily update to a new Defender database in a matter of a few minutes. After upgrading my Mac operating system to Sierra (10.12.5), it was required that I also update from Detector tools 1.x to Detector tools 2.3.6.

Now Defender updates take about 12 hours to complete. In a call to customer service I was told that it was a "known problem". But since Sierra has been out since September of 2016, it's hard to believe that there is not some kind of fix available by now.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 21st, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfinley View Post
For years, my Passport 9500ix could easily update to a new Defender database in a matter of a few minutes. After upgrading my Mac operating system to Sierra (10.12.5), it was required that I also update from Detector tools 1.x to Detector tools 2.3.6.

Now Defender updates take about 12 hours to complete. In a call to customer service I was told that it was a "known problem". But since Sierra has been out since September of 2016, it's hard to believe that there is not some kind of fix available by now.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
I have no long update times using either my Max 360 nor my Max 2. Running Sierra 10.12.5 as well.

Strange.

UPDATE: I've just finished updating my Max 2 and Max 360, without issues. Whatever is happening, it's not universal. What Mac are you using?
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)

Last edited by TBNTX; June 21st, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 21st, 2017
poolmon poolmon is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
I have no long update times using either my Max 360 nor my Max 2. Running Sierra 10.12.5 as well.

Strange.
Just wondered if you had a 9500ix to try it on?
The reason I say that is because my 9500ix loads Defender much slower vs my MAX. That is with WIN 7, but I was curious if it might be the same thing with a MAC?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 21st, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmon View Post
Just wondered if you had a 9500ix to try it on?
The reason I say that is because my 9500ix loads Defender much slower vs my MAX. That is with WIN 7, but I was curious if it might be the same thing with a MAC?
I actually do own a 9500ix, but it's been on the shelf for a long time, and I don't haven't maintained a Defender subscription for it.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 21st, 2017
vfinley vfinley is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Default

I am updating my 9500ix with an iMac Retina 5K 27in, Late 2014
4GHZ intel Core i7
32GB Memory
Worked perfectly until Detector Tools 2.3.5 and OS 10.12.5
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 21st, 2017
poolmon poolmon is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
I actually do own a 9500ix, but it's been on the shelf for a long time, and I don't haven't maintained a Defender subscription for it.
OK. . Thanks, I was just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 21st, 2017
poolmon poolmon is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfinley View Post
I am updating my 9500ix with an iMac Retina 5K 27in, Late 2014
4GHZ intel Core i7
32GB Memory
Worked perfectly until Detector Tools 2.3.5 and OS 10.12.5
Interesting . . .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 23rd, 2017
vfinley vfinley is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Default Problem Solved

I finally figured it out. Now updates take 24 minutes, which is a substantial improvement. Won't go into details, as this problem seems never to have affected anyone else in the group.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 23rd, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfinley View Post
I finally figured it out. Now updates take 24 minutes, which is a substantial improvement. Won't go into details, as this problem seems never to have affected anyone else in the group.
Twenty-four minutes is still longer than I've experienced, but at least it's not 12 hours! Glad you figured out what was happening.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2017 Escort Inc.