Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Windshield Radar Detectors > RedLine

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 24th, 2017
BelsCortFan's Avatar
BelsCortFan BelsCortFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: IN the Back of your Mind
Posts: 1,647
Default

Other than the Service Required issue, the Redline did have a long-term well known issue: blown speakers . I've replaced two of them myself.

Up until the R3, the Redline was the greatest performing WS mount of all time. Much better than the V1, despite the lack of arrows. 5 years from now we'll look back and still say, yep, that was a great unit and still us.
__________________
Stir-O >Redline-O>RX65 S7>Redline EX =Max 360
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 24th, 2017
kasher1979's Avatar
kasher1979 kasher1979 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelsCortFan View Post
Other than the Service Required issue, the Redline did have a long-term well known issue: blown speakers . I've replaced two of them myself.

Up until the R3, the Redline was the greatest performing WS mount of all time. Much better than the V1, despite the lack of arrows. 5 years from now we'll look back and still say, yep, that was a great unit and still us.
Yeah. I would like to see old nelly against an R3. From what I see a very hot M3 is right about equal with the R3, with the R3 having a slight edge

Back on topic my Redline's are solid. I had to replace a speaker once but if you leave them turned up full blast it's really not a surprise that the speakers blow sometimes. They are still good solid units even after almost a decade.

Last edited by kasher1979; May 24th, 2017 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 24th, 2017
BelsCortFan's Avatar
BelsCortFan BelsCortFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: IN the Back of your Mind
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasher1979 View Post
Yeah. I would like to see old nelly against an R3. From what I see a very hot M3 is right about equal with the R3, with the R3 having a slight edge

Back on topic my Redline's are solid. I had to replace a speaker once but if you leave them turned up full blast it's really not a surprise that the speakers blow sometimes. They are still good solid units even after almost a decade.
Its been done. Old Nelly is out to pasture after getting her BUTT kicked and badly Both ON and OFF axis on Ka , she just can't keep up with the new field anymore.
__________________
Stir-O >Redline-O>RX65 S7>Redline EX =Max 360
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 24th, 2017
Nine_c1's Avatar
Nine_c1 Nine_c1 is offline
Armchair Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
This doesn't mean that there was a defective solder process. Over time and vibration, one of the solder points for the antenna may have loosened. Reflowing the solder shouldn't suggest a defect in the manufacturing process.
It's actually one of the few weaknesses in the M3 design.....the solder connection between the K/Ka LNA board and the main RF board. It's a manual process (done by a person, not a machine) that takes skill to get it right and easy to mess up.

When somebody's RedLine quits detecting these bands this solder joint is the culprit more often than not and reflowing that solder connection is usually standard practice when a RedLine goes in for service (from what I have seen).

To the guy that had to pay $140 to fix this common design related issue.......yeah, it's a defective solder process.

You could only hope that when this is the only problem with the detector that Escort would reduce that fee to something more reasonable or......N/C.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 25th, 2017
EscortRadar's Avatar
EscortRadar EscortRadar is offline
Official Escort Rep
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,064
Default

$140 (actually $139.95) is the repair fee for our optional premium service package which includes:
- Thoroughly testing and calibrating the detector and repairing all issues found
- New detector casing and lenses
- All new accessories
- Prepaid shipping label emailed to you to return the detector with
- 2 day return shipping when detector is repaired
- One year warranty on the entire detector
__________________

Escort Radar customer service is available from 9am-5:30pm Eastern Time Mon-Fri at 1-800-543-1608 or by live chat
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old July 26th, 2017
525 525 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine_c1 View Post
It's actually one of the few weaknesses in the M3 design.....the solder connection between the K/Ka LNA board and the main RF board. It's a manual process (done by a person, not a machine) that takes skill to get it right and easy to mess up.
Can someone please give instructions where this connection exactly is, since I now have expensive paperweight and I'd like to try fix it.
__________________
iOS 11.0.1
iPhone SE
ESCORT Live v2.1.20 (Build 5) & Redline
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old July 26th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 525 View Post
Can someone please give instructions where this connection exactly is, since I now have expensive paperweight and I'd like to try fix it.
It's not easy to pin-point an exact position. It might possibly be any component. It can only be diagnosed by the Escort team.

My suggestion is to send it back to Escort for diagnosis and make any repairs. Further to this, any repairs will be covered under a 90-day warranty.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old July 26th, 2017
EscortRadar's Avatar
EscortRadar EscortRadar is offline
Official Escort Rep
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 525 View Post
Can someone please give instructions where this connection exactly is, since I now have expensive paperweight and I'd like to try fix it.
The LNA uses a special epoxy to bond it to the PCB, not traditional solder. You will not be able to fix it.
__________________

Escort Radar customer service is available from 9am-5:30pm Eastern Time Mon-Fri at 1-800-543-1608 or by live chat
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old July 26th, 2017
525 525 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
My suggestion is to send it back to Escort for diagnosis and make any repairs.
Unfortunately this is not a reasonanable option for me, customs fees and shipping costs etc. for overseas is just too much for outdated unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscortRadar
The LNA uses a special epoxy to bond it to the PCB, not traditional solder. You will not be able to fix it.
Ok thanks, this seems to "solve" the problem, seems like there is nothing I can do to my Redlline to bring it back to life.
__________________
iOS 11.0.1
iPhone SE
ESCORT Live v2.1.20 (Build 5) & Redline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 Escort Inc.