Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Windshield Radar Detectors > Passport iQ

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old November 5th, 2012
EscortRadar's Avatar
EscortRadar EscortRadar is offline
Official Escort Rep
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,791
Default

I am sorry to hear about the mixup with your order buckdharma. Send me a private message with your name and address if you have not received any information about the status of your order yet.
__________________

Escort Radar customer service is available from 9am-5:30pm Eastern Time Mon-Fri at 1-800-543-1608 or by live chat
  #12  
Old November 6th, 2012
poulette73 poulette73 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgriffi View Post
Is there something I/we should infer from this statement? Should I put any thoughts of ever buying one out of my mind?
For a while now, the future is based on the technology of smartphones (iOS and Android) and all associated connectivity : 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS...
Escort Live! was the first step in that way.
Developments on Windows CE platform (such as iQ) have no interest today because no longer correspond to the current market and potential customers : this is the end.

BUT... iQ remains a powerful and complete product, wich is still far from being exceeded.
  • About the RD part =firmware/software update= :
    - based on 9500ix hardware technology wich has nothing to prove.
    - and benefits with built in GPS (truelocks / storing false alerts).
    - Defender Database (as an option).
    The software part for radar detection is very complete, with adjustments and settings to enable (or not) all parameters, including visual choices.

  • About the navigation part =map update= :
    (I can't really talk about because never having been able to use)
    - they are available through updates on SD card.
    The software part for navigation seems to have few bugs sometimes (especially on POI research, or unknown roads) but overall works properly and provides usefull informations.

In fact, I don't think iQ fans have chosen to buy this product because they wanted to buy a GPS unit (so ok, some have made this choice to reduce the number of devices on the dashboard. But this isn't the majority of buyers I guess... it would be fun to do a poll !?!?)

The main reason (...we are on a Escort forum - Radar Detectors manufacturer - isn't it ?) is that we were looking for a RD unit, and in the case of this Passport iQ has the great advantage of combining both.
But what was the goal ? Remove a device on the dashboard ? No, I don't think so, although GPS Nav is the bonus part.
The primary goal is discretion ! And in this case iQ is great (and especially unique!). Don't forget that there're a lots of places in the world where the possession of this type of device is illegal.

IMO... (this is just a personal idea, and I promised not working at Escort ) ==> Passport iQ is still a powerful and useful product, especially for those looking for discretion and performance.
In addition, even if the product does not change anymore, it would not alter its qualities and detection performances already quite honorable.
__________________
Escort Passport iQ rev 2.8.2 (20120912.1)
  #13  
Old November 6th, 2012
pcardoza pcardoza is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 664
Default

Sorry Poulette, but I will jump in and disagree with you here. I absolutely bought my IQ with full intention of using the GPS functionality. It replaced my Garmin, which had so many more GPS features.... Most notably traffic information. Not to mention, the unit is a brick in both size and weight. The RD functionality is as good as anything else out there and I have no complaints about it, whatsoever. For the price, the IQ offers POOR value.

I quickly decided to trade mine in for a SmartRadar (iPhone version) and after a small laser sensitivity adjustment by Escort, I cannot imagine being happier! The SR is inconspicuous, yet offers the same RD performance as the IQ. I can choose to either run Escort Live in the foreground (sill a bit of a work in progress), or run it in background with TomTom up front. Either provides traffic data to help with my commute route decisions. Most importantly, EL is still being developed by Escort, while the IQ is a lame-duck product. Very disappointing............

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulette73 View Post
For a while now, the future is based on the technology of smartphones (iOS and Android) and all associated connectivity : 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS...
Escort Live! was the first step in that way.
Developments on Windows CE platform (such as iQ) have no interest today because no longer correspond to the current market and potential customers : this is the end.

BUT... iQ remains a powerful and complete product, wich is still far from being exceeded.
  • About the RD part =firmware/software update= :
    - based on 9500ix hardware technology wich has nothing to prove.
    - and benefits with built in GPS (truelocks / storing false alerts).
    - Defender Database (as an option).
    The software part for radar detection is very complete, with adjustments and settings to enable (or not) all parameters, including visual choices.

  • About the navigation part =map update= :
    (I can't really talk about because never having been able to use)
    - they are available through updates on SD card.
    The software part for navigation seems to have few bugs sometimes (especially on POI research, or unknown roads) but overall works properly and provides usefull informations.

In fact, I don't think iQ fans have chosen to buy this product because they wanted to buy a GPS unit (so ok, some have made this choice to reduce the number of devices on the dashboard. But this isn't the majority of buyers I guess... it would be fun to do a poll !?!?)

The main reason (...we are on a Escort forum - Radar Detectors manufacturer - isn't it ?) is that we were looking for a RD unit, and in the case of this Passport iQ has the great advantage of combining both.
But what was the goal ? Remove a device on the dashboard ? No, I don't think so, although GPS Nav is the bonus part.
The primary goal is discretion ! And in this case iQ is great (and especially unique!). Don't forget that there're a lots of places in the world where the possession of this type of device is illegal.

IMO... (this is just a personal idea, and I promised not working at Escort ) ==> Passport iQ is still a powerful and useful product, especially for those looking for discretion and performance.
In addition, even if the product does not change anymore, it would not alter its qualities and detection performances already quite honorable.
  #14  
Old November 6th, 2012
poulette73 poulette73 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 255
Default

No problem Pcardoza, everyone has the right to have a different opinion, and sharing is the purpose of a forum, so no worries
I also agree with your point of view.

But the world wasn't the same when iQ is born (2 years ago...) : there was no -or very little- iPhone or Android smartphones (with built-in GPS and many Nav Apps like TomTom, Navigon, Sygic, Google Maps, and others) and at least we didn't talk about it, or even less the idea of ​​being able to pair with RD.
And EL! or SR even less too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcardoza
It replaced my Garmin, which had so many more GPS features.... Most notably traffic information. Not to mention, the unit is a brick in both size and weight.
I don't believe iQ was boasted in advertising as having a high-end navigation & features like Garmin, and traffic data information in real time... never read before.
... So yes, in this case, you were wrong in your purchase if you believe bought an iQ in this perspective.

For its size and weight, not hard to imagine its contents... look at this thread : http://escortradarforum.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2580
Try to add a 5" touch screen to a Passport 9500ix, you will not make it less heavy

Glad you enjoy your SR, really
But it also means that the subject was not finally replacing a Garmin GPS unit, since now navigations are on your smarphone.
And in my case (I'm also owner of a Samsung Galaxy SIII) I'm not fan to multiply units, manage and share connections, launch different applications (Escort Live! + another Nav App for navigation) : I like simple things... and for that iQ is top !
But especially the ability to drive quietly and discreetly : only Passport iQ permits this comfort...
...with a SR or any other RD ==> jail guaranteed !
__________________
Escort Passport iQ rev 2.8.2 (20120912.1)

Last edited by poulette73; November 6th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
  #15  
Old November 20th, 2012
BobaFett's Avatar
BobaFett BobaFett is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Default

I recently purchased an IQ from BestBuy (silver face) and just noticed this post as I was looking for map updates. I called escort but was told the map updates are not available? Is this unit currently up to date or is this an error on CS part? I know a lot of my posted speeds locally, in the country at least, are inaccurate.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  #16  
Old November 20th, 2012
EscortRadar's Avatar
EscortRadar EscortRadar is offline
Official Escort Rep
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,791
Default

I am not sure why you were told that they are not available. They certainly are available. I sent an email reminding our service team of this. Please call again with your iQ's serial number handy.

The map update will also update speed limit data. I regularly use a Passport iQ and mine has been much more accurate after this update.
__________________

Escort Radar customer service is available from 9am-5:30pm Eastern Time Mon-Fri at 1-800-543-1608 or by live chat
  #17  
Old November 30th, 2012
ElectroGlideinBlue ElectroGlideinBlue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
Question Are my maps up to date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscortRadar View Post
The latest Passport iQ maps are now available
OK . . . I purchased the iQ at the Escort store in Cincy on 10/17 (yes, I went there and saw all of the destruction/construction).

Do I REALLY have to spend another 29.95 or were the maps up to date when I purchased it? I mean . . . sheesh . . . it was only a little over 2 weeks since I bought it when you put out this message . . .

Thanks!

--Phil
  #18  
Old November 30th, 2012
EscortRadar's Avatar
EscortRadar EscortRadar is offline
Official Escort Rep
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,791
Default

You should already have them installed. Go into Settings/About. The Map Data version should be 1.2. If it is not then please send me a private message with your name and address and I will send you a map update SD card free of charge.

You should see the lobby now, it's nearly done! It is functional, just installing monitors, etc. I'll post pictures to the forum once it is completed.
__________________

Escort Radar customer service is available from 9am-5:30pm Eastern Time Mon-Fri at 1-800-543-1608 or by live chat
  #19  
Old November 30th, 2012
Bigwill41's Avatar
Bigwill41 Bigwill41 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Navasota, Texas
Posts: 493
Send a message via AIM to Bigwill41 Send a message via MSN to Bigwill41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscortRadar View Post
You should already have them installed. Go into Settings/About. The Map Data version should be 1.2. If it is not then please send me a private message with your name and address and I will send you a map update SD card free of charge.

You should see the lobby now, it's nearly done! It is functional, just installing monitors, etc. I'll post pictures to the forum once it is completed.
Good deal

Love to see that
__________________
Escort Redline
Escort 9500I
Escort 9500IX
Escort 8500 X50 Blue
Escort Passport SC55
Beltronics STi Driver
Valentine One 3.872
Whistler Pro-78SE (Where is the filter on this thing)

My Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Wellmann41


K-Band Radar Unit:
*Knock Knock...*
9500ci: *Who's there?*
K-band Radar Unit: *Quick...*
9500ci: *Quick who?*
K-Band Radar Unit: *Quick Trigger YOU!!!*
9500ci: *Sorry, don't know you...* (And remains silent).
  #20  
Old December 3rd, 2012
speedsville speedsville is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgriffi View Post
Is there something I/we should infer from this statement? Should I put any thoughts of ever buying one out of my mind?
I would think you should forget it.

I just bought my IQ for over $700 and now I need to spend $30 for updates

I should have gotten a detector and a GPS separately
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 Escort Inc.