Escort Radar Forum

Escort Radar Forum (http://escortradarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   MAX II and MAX (http://escortradarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Laser on start up (http://escortradarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15649)

daveman327 March 22nd, 2017 07:01 PM

Laser on start up
 
Hi everyone, just got a Max. When I power it up, regardless of where I am, the Laser alert comes on for about 20 seconds and then goes away. Doesn't matter where I am, in my garage at home, at work, at the grocery store, the golf course, etc. It powers on and then acts like it's being hit by laser and then goes away, like I said, after about 20 seconds or so. Just wanted to know if that is normal or if I should be contacting Escort about it directly. It's my first Escort radar detector and it's done this since day 1 out of the box, so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks!

poolmon March 22nd, 2017 07:31 PM

That is not normal.
If your car has any collision avoidance devices (or any internal led lighting) at all you will want to power up your MAX in a vehicle that does not have any to check if it's your car or the MAX.
Welcome to the forum and let us know what you find.

DetectorDan March 22nd, 2017 07:38 PM

daveman327 -

By all means, call Escorts customer service about this. It isn't normal.

As poolmon states, if you can check the detector in a different car, please do so. But from what you describe, it's possible the detector needs service. Your detector is still under warranty. Take advantage of it.

Dan

Zak March 23rd, 2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveman327 (Post 130397)
Hi everyone, just got a Max. When I power it up, regardless of where I am, the Laser alert comes on for about 20 seconds and then goes away. Doesn't matter where I am, in my garage at home, at work, at the grocery store, the golf course, etc. It powers on and then acts like it's being hit by laser and then goes away, like I said, after about 20 seconds or so. Just wanted to know if that is normal or if I should be contacting Escort about it directly. It's my first Escort radar detector and it's done this since day 1 out of the box, so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks!

Does your vehicle have LED lights in the front o the car at all? Fogs, headlights, even accent lighting or DRL's?
This many times will reflect off walls, like it does in my garage, every time I start my car.
Do you use a sunshade on the windshield? When I use my shade the metallic reflector on it causes the laser detection to go off.

Mina Bekhit March 27th, 2017 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveman327 (Post 130397)
Hi everyone, just got a Max. When I power it up, regardless of where I am, the Laser alert comes on for about 20 seconds and then goes away. Doesn't matter where I am, in my garage at home, at work, at the grocery store, the golf course, etc. It powers on and then acts like it's being hit by laser and then goes away, like I said, after about 20 seconds or so. Just wanted to know if that is normal or if I should be contacting Escort about it directly. It's my first Escort radar detector and it's done this since day 1 out of the box, so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks!

I have an Infiniti G37 and my max does the same when it's close to the LCD if I use a mirror mount. Try to move the detector away from the LCD screen if you have one. Try to place the detector 2" higher than the dashboard.

bluez6 April 10th, 2017 09:20 PM

I've only had my Max a few days and I'm having the same problem, but worse. First few days of use, didn't do it. Now Laser warning stayed on minutes and eventually shut off. First happened this morning after pulling out of the garage, but quickly shut off by the end of the driveway. The automatic garage door has a sensor for detecting on obstruction so I attributed it to that. 30 minute commute to work, it was fine. But then after work tonight in an open parking lot it happened again, but stayed on. Late day (no headlights) and later when almost dark. Also noticed that even when the alarm shut off, the yellow LED (alarm) on the smart power cord stays on. Cycled power several times, and problem stayed. Clearly something is wrong with it. No way it should have false alarm like that, headlights, LED display, or anything of the sort should not be triggering it. If that's the case then I'm returning it for my money back. This is a huge disappointment. Except for some firmware download type of cure, this is being returned.

Kruse April 10th, 2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mina Bekhit (Post 130569)
I have an Infiniti G37 and my max does the same when it's close to the LCD if I use a mirror mount. Try to move the detector away from the LCD screen if you have one. Try to place the detector 2" higher than the dashboard.

I have seen this same issue when holding the Max 360 inside a Lexus and Toyota's both having an LCD. Never had the issue when the detector was properly mounted on the windshield.

Mina Bekhit April 10th, 2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kruse (Post 131013)
I have seen this same issue when holding the Max 360 inside a Lexus and Toyota's both having an LCD. Never had the issue when the detector was properly mounted on the windshield.

I have also tried my max close to the screen of my 2015 Nissan Pathfinder and it alerts to laser as well. The issue is worse when you start the car and then it goes off. Sometimes it goes on as well during driving. As long as you are away from the vertical projection of the screen, the Laser will not alert.

bluez6 April 13th, 2017 10:58 PM

Intermittently when I turn on the Max it triggers a laser alert and does not stop. Does not appear to be related to my car's LCD display. Also the orange alert light on the smartcord is always on, even when there is no alert. I doubt it's related, seems like 2 problems. I think it's time to call and send it in for repair. This is a huge disappointment.:(

daveman327 May 15th, 2017 05:03 PM

What Escort says
 
Thanks everyone for your input. I too have mine in an Infinity G37. Their customer service says that on start up of the vehicle, the car is putting off some kind of high power IR signal that is being picked up by the detector. They said I could return it and try to have the detector recalibrated, but no guarantees it will solve the issue. They said it doesn't happen will all cars, but with some it will occur.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2017 Escort Inc.